Friday, February 23, 2007

We Have Ignition

I have finally conquered my home network. And by conquered, I mean I watched a very nice Dell technician in Arizona conquer it remotely on my PC and laptop. My role was strictly to help run the little application that allowed him to access the desktops. Otherwise, I basically watched the cursors run across the screens, controlled by some unseen magic.

I do feel somewhat vindicated from my previous post's PEBKAC reference. While in fact the way I connected the various boxes from my modem to my computer may have caused some geekage, the steps required to get my computers to relax and share was definitely a system thing, not me.

Vista is still not off the hook in my book. It seems pretty clear to me that it was Vista's promise that using their little network wizard would easily connect your machines, but judging by the two or three additional layers of security that had to be modified (not to mention found), that wizard needs some work.

For me, that's strike two for Vista and its wizards. Looks like it may be time to go back to whatever Microsoft/ Hogwarts Remedial School they have to bone up on their spells. Now, let's see if I can get Outlook to work.

No comments: