Thursday, January 18, 2007

Perfect Albums

There are some albums that are perfect. The whole thing and each song is well written, dynamic, interesting, consistently holds my attention and frequently draws me back. A perfect album. I started thinking about some of the records I consider perfect and made a quick list, alphabetized by artist.

• The Beatles - Abbey Road
• Big Black - Songs About Fucking
• The Blow Up - True Noise
• Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
• Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
• Cabaret Voltaire - Voice Of America
• The Damned - Damned Damned Damned
• David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
• The Dwarves - Horror Stories
• The English Beat - I Just Can't Stop It
• The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
• The Intelligence - Boredom and Terror
• The Jam - Sound Affects
• Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
• Mocket - Pro Forma
• The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
• New Order - Movement
• Optiganally Yours - Exclusively Talentmaker
• P.i.L. - Metal Box
• Pussy Galore - Dial "M" For Motherfucker
• Quasi - Featuring "Birds"
• Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream Of Trains
• Scratch Acid - Scratch Acid
• Sonic Youth - EVOL
• Steve Fisk - 448 Deathless Days
• The Stranglers - La Folie
• Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
• The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
• The Wedding Present - Hit Parade I
• The Wipers - Over The Edge
• Wire - Pink Flag
• XTC - Black Sea

Some of these artists have other albums are may be arguably better, and there are many other albums that could also be on the list. One may question why I didn’t choose Big Black’s Atomizer, or Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust, and those would be legit questions. How about you? Are there any albums you consider perfect, and what are they?

No comments: